New Redesign Header

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Recycling

Wrought Iron Base

Making mosaic art is a good way to recycle. (Some may call this project "craft", however. :-}) I found this wrought iron magazine rack at my favorite local thrift store, the Assistance League. I tried turning it upside down and right side up and thought I could probably make something with it.

When I got home, I remembered a rectangular piece of wedi board covered with a layer of thin set that I bought some time ago from Passiflora Mosaics. So I set about making an outdoor mosaic with a star to match the base.

After the star was done, it looked like it should mimic a flag, so I put in layers of red and blue mirror and white glass. Then I put a black border around the edges to match the base. Now I need to grout the piece (arrgh.....what color???) and then finally attach the base to the top.

Mosaic Star
Flag Table Top

I plan to bring this piece to the upcoming Goleta Valley Artist Tour on Saturday, May 19th. I will be sharing space with three other artists at 547 Windsor Avenue. Twenty Goleta artists will be displaying their art at eight different locations. Stop by and see some amazing art. And perhaps we can set our snacks on this flag table and have a chat!

Flag Table

No comments:

Post a Comment